Thursday, May 22, 2008

Quick Relief

The Rice Sock! This might seem like an obvious home remedy, but I just made one and I don't know why I haven't done it sooner!!! From the microwave, it works great as a heat pack. Straight from the freezer, its a icy pack. Make two so you can do contrast therapy :D I got the specifics on how to make one from the WikiHow website here http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Rice-Sock
I suggest going thru the entire page, there are some valuable Suggestions and important Warnings. I've been putting a glass of water in the microwave with the rice sock when heating it to prevent fires and add a bit of moisture to the heating process. My screaming tendonitis pain is now more of a chattering pain with the help from my socks.
Even if you need help to make the sock, let your helper know that you don't need mad sewing skills or more than 5 minutes to make it.
Also, I suggest a sock that doesn't have a bend in the heel, that way the sock can lay flatter. .. I finally put that pair of toe-socks to work...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've purchased many of the rice socks through local craft fairs (needed several because they say not to reheat it for several hours after use). I never knew that you could put them in the freezer too ! I usually need ice more than heat, depending on what hurts more at the moment.

How sad is it that this news has made my day ? =P

Great blog, by the way !

Finz from NT

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I came across your blog accidentally and would like to thank you for sharing all this information.

The information regarding the socks has come in very useful. I have been suffering from RSI for over a year now. I have typed this using Dragon voice recognition software. It takes a lot of patience in the beginning, but the effort is worthwhile. I would recommend giving Dragon software a go.

Please keep up your good work and continue posting on your blog.

RSI Sufferer - From London, England