Friday, February 8, 2008

Looking over your benefits from work while disabled

What does work benefits have to do with being disabled? Isn't that what Workers' Compensation Insurance is for??
Turns out, if you have enrolled in your employer's benefit package prior to your injury, the ins and outs of your work benefits can provide some interesting plot twists in your WC saga. I recommend going through your entire benefit brochure. Don't have one? Request one or go online (- it would be online if you have the option of managing your benefits online). The things that affected me in my time out of work due to injury in terms of my benefits I paid for are:
1. Losing Medical, Prescription Plan, Dental, Vision benefits due to reduction in PAID HOURS.
2. Short term disability and 3. Long term disability which are benefits that most often is paid for through some benefit plan at work.. Part of that automatic deduction from your check every week if you are enrolled in these particular benefits. It helps you out if you become disabled either randomly or from a work related injury.They provide income that you are not receiving normally- however they have limits, and in some cases, won't provide the same dollar amount income as one had before the disability. *IMPORTANT* To receive STD benefits, you — or someone acting on your behalf — must file a claim.

*other points of interest are enrollment, average weekly earnings, paying for these benefits out of pocket while on disability (aka missed payroll deductions) , pre-existing and recurrent disabilities

1. yikes! I didn't know that
2. Short term disability (STD) covered me for the first 26 weeks of my injury. And at which time I had no idea it existed. I am just now understanding that STD and LTD are thing that I have already paid for and I'm figuring out now how they have or have not helped me. With STD, I'm still like HUH?. I'm not sure if I was supposed to receive $ from this plan. I didn't get any... thinking it was because I earned "too much" from WC. There are several sources of potential income while you are out, but they seems to cancel each other out, and the lowest amount is the winner as your main source of income :D
3. Long Term Disability (LTD) has just kicked in although my STD period ended 7 months ago... I guess this normal?? I will admit I was slow to provide them info they needed. My doctors and WC adjustor were slow too. Also. Now that I am PS and WC has ended LTD seems to be my only income now. There are steps I am taking to increase my benefit $ amount right now. It involves lots of forms and reading both fine print AND in between the lines Whereas Another service mine provides is Vocational Retraining $... This week I have a Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE)- this is the LTD's in house doctor review- to see if I can work at for the same company in any position. I think. HUH? I want to stop here though, because I am still learning about this system.

I will fill in the holes on the questions I have as I get them answered

No comments: