Monday, March 17, 2008

My Functional Capacity Evaluation

This week I went to my Functional Capacity Evaluation that was orchestrated by my LTD provider to determine what kind work I might be able to do given my new limitations. I didn't feel bullied but I left feeling beat up for sure. I had to do tasks in spite of the work restrictions made by my doctor. In fact it was like a showcase of all the things I should not be doing. My competitive nature pushed me to prove I can do these things. In the course of the evaluation my pain level started at a 4 and went to a 6 and went to a 7 while home and has stayed at about a 5 since then (its been 7 days now).

For the benefit of any others that may have an arm RSI and have to do a FCE here's a list of the things I did. Almost all of my tasks were administered and monitored by a high tech Occupational Therapy program. First, I verbally gave my work, injury, daily routine, and what-I-do-for-fun histories then this is what I did:
1. strapped a wireless pulse monitor on and took blood pressure
2. Treadmill- power walking! 10 minutes
3-5. Hand Dynamometer for hand strength:
  • left then right hand (5 sec each time??), alternating hands 6x for each of all six grip positions
  • left to right rapidly 6x for only one position
  • left to right (5 sec each time??) 6x, same position
6-9. Pinch Gauge for finger strength:
  • key pinch position. alternating right then left hand for 5seconds each 6x
  • index finger to thumb pinch position. same as before
  • index finger & middle finger to thumb pinch position. same as before
++++++++ these next ones were done on something that looks like a weight gym system but its completely sensored and part of the same computer administered program++++++++++++++

10. Push with all my force one time for 5 seconds
11. Pull ...... one time, 5 seconds.
12. Weighted milk crate (not sure how much it weighed but I would guess 5 lbs) pick it up from a waist level platform and put it on another platform at shoulder height, then back again. 4 times. Repeat after 4x but with a weight added. (couldn't do it myself- if you can, they will keep adding weights til you can't)
13.Weighted milk crate- pick it up from the floor to the waist level platform, then back down. 4 times. Same deal after 4x, with weights. (More added if you can handle it.)
14. Weighted milk crate- pick up from the floor to shoulder level platform 4x. (Then weights added.)
+++++++++ no more exercises using the sensor equipment +++++++++++++
15. Pick weighted crate up from waist level platform and carry it 10 feet away, turn around, out it back down. Repeat 5x.
16. Stand, stoop & kneel + motor skills: moving 6 rows of 2 pegs at a time from a peg board wall starting at the floor- knee height to coordinating slots at knee height to chest height. Repeat 7x. This was timed.
17. 2 step stairs up and down. 24x. timed.
18. Crawl on hands and knees for a minute. (really)
19-22. Fine motor peg board:
  • right hand: pick up pegs from dish and put as many in the peg board w/ right hand in 15 seconds (?)
  • left hand: same
  • both hands: same task at the same time for 15 seconds
  • use both hands to assemble as many peg, washer, grommet & washer formations in 15 seconds
23. Writing. Copied an article out of a magazine for 5 minutes.
24. Took blood pressure.
25. DONE!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

During My FCE I they had me preform a total of 100 Squats increasing the pounds to 40 using sand bags that was placed into a plywood box that was approximately 2 foot wide and 1 foot deep. Starting at just above waste level at the chest picking up the box keeping it out from my body and stepping back three steps turn and walk 6 steps squat down and place this box on the floor and stand up and then squat back down and pick it back up and take it back to the shelf. That counted as one. This was repeated 25 times in the beginning of a 4 hour procedure then again at the end and as stated they increased the weight with 10 pound sand bags and I could not reach anymore than 40 pounds added. That was just a small version of the 4 hour torture that I was forced to do to either keep my job and receive benefits until I was able to return or to have a documentation of Non compliance and loose it all. I am 48 and weighed at this time 120 pounds. I am now considered partial paraplegic and also with a rotator cuff tear bilateral and greater trochanter bursitis and periformis syndrome along with severe nerve damage bilaterally proved with EMG and Nerve conduction studies. So What does one do? I used to be a Registered Nurse and now I am being told I should redefine my life for it is no longer the same.

Anonymous said...

Arms,
Your post has been up for a long time but I just now saw it, Sep 11, 2014.
Your description of the test was fantastic, EXACTLY what I needed to know before going in for an FCE.
Based on your description I'll be falling down, unable to get up without substantial help, and completely unable to do many of the things you mentioned. The LTD company are idiots if they think I need this kind of a test.
I need to see my Pain doctor before attempting this test as I am going to be in brutal agony afterward. My regular morphine sulfate will be insuffiecient, they'll need to be generous with the dilaudid.
Yes, that much pain in several different joints and areas.
Again, thank you, now I know what to expect, I now know there is no way I can pass it, and I'm forewarned of the massive pain I will have afterward that will go on for days. Whew.
Thanks,
Rick