Thursday, October 23, 2008

Ever had an MRI?

I had a Permanent and Stationary (PS) rating examination by a Qualified Medical Examiner (QME) that my WC insurance company and I agreed upon. This doctor recommended that I go to get a MRI on my cervical spine so that he could make the best Permanent Partial Disability rating. I don't know specifically what he is looking for but given the fact that I have symptoms of TOS, I believe he is looking for abnormalities in my bone structure that could cause the neurogenic or vascular compression. I had an x-ray earlier that ruled out cervical ribs (actual extra ribs above you collarbone) but showed pronounced vertebrae.

I can't say I felt confident at any point of my experience in the office where I had my MRI. They were disorganized, couldn't get my name right (I was always Last name first, First name last), and the office felt weird to me. All things combined didn't put me at ease and I believe that is half of what makes a medical appointment a good one. (The other half= doing the job right i.e. diagnosis and treatment)
I know its vague to say the office didn't feel right to me but they had pergo flooring down and it was really warpy. Like it had been laid down on top of a carpet that hadn't been cleared of children's toys or something. And there was an optical peacockesque light in the lobby. You know the ones that you begged your parents to but you when you went to Spencer's at the mall? Bizarre.

Question: How was the MRI experience and how did it come out?
Answer: Just fine :)
The woman who conducted the MRI was very sweet and prepared me (as it was my first time). I wasn't scared to begin with but her pep talk seemed genuine and she boosted my comfort level. I was given a panic button to squeeze If I had a freak out moment during the process. *Sidenote- I thought MRIs were in tubes but this wasn't. I was getting a cervical spine image and was on a table underneath a huge Star Trek Enterprise shaped magnet (?) from my waist up. It was probably 4" from my face and I believe I wasn't closed in on the sides. The sounds they make are enough to make me believe in sound torture as real method of making people lose their mind though :P * I was hearing sounds that weren't there. My mind was being rattled for sure.
After the MRI, I got the images while I acclimated to the world. I was surprised the were ready so fast and that I was the one to handle them. (A doctor referred me there so I thought they'd be sent to him, especially since I have no appointments w/ him on the horizon.) Again, this was my first MRI so I don't know much- but I thought the images looked good.

In the days since my MRI I have talked to several TOS sufferers and they have all told me unless I was making a football goal with my arms in the imaging process, the compression would not show. I just confirmed this sentiment on emedicine.com
The need to study the patient in different positions (eg, in abduction or in adduction) is important for the physician performing the MR imaging study because a simple image obtained in the anatomic position may obscure unprovoked vascular compression.

*I believe in sound torture now...
I also felt like this guy I saw in the BBC series "Spaced" who begins to hear a song within the sounds of everyday life. Coincidentally, I saw this episode the night before I had the MRI and I was stifling laughter for most of my procedure.. I wanted to embed the clip here but it's no longer allowed by YouTube. But if you want a laugh please check it out here !

No comments: