Sunday, October 5, 2008

Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement PE class

I have the unique opportunity to take a college PE course on Moshe Feldenkrais' bodywork. (Please see wikipedia's page on Feldenkrais to get the full, accurate scoop.) I will be updating here with my experiences from time to time. I am going into this with a big amount of optimism because I keep hearing or reading about this technique from other people with RSIs. My doctor has okayed it and I also asked a Workers' Compensation Information Assistance Officer if this would be frowned upon by my WC- he said no. *This applies to me alone. You should always ask for yourself since alll cases are different just to be safe!*
So far I can tell you that it is guided sensory awareness with slow movement. To an outsider, it probably looks like a bizarre adult nap time since its a gymnasium full of us on mats (and many with blankets too!). I saw it as a challenge the first day and pushed myself to the limit. (I gotta learn to accept my limitations... its just so hard) I actually started having a neck spasm while on the mat. But the professor, who is trained in Feldenkrais and has been instructing since 1994, came over to me and gave me a modification and I was able to continue

Here are the Guidelines for success and comfort in Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement given to me in class:
"Take it easy do each movement w/ as little effort as possible.
Take it slow- So you can pay attention to what you feel inside.
Do each movement completely- then take a short break before you begin again.
Relax- and let go of unnecessary tension in all parts of yourself.
It's ok to stop & rest- and do nothing whenever you wish.
If you feel any pain or discomfort- do less, move slower or smaller, go extra easy, or IMAGINE yourself doing the movement. Imagining the movement can be just as effective as physically doing it.
In Feldenkrais, Less = More."

To be continued......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is good initiative